CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Nature Study


It has been my desire to do more nature study with the kids. Of course, that means you actually have to get out into nature and I'm not always the best at that! I did buy these journals for the kids and they are really neat. R took to hers right away(I think it was a little too educational looking for T!). We found-or should I say our dog(Daisy) -found a box turtle last week. The kids decided to keep it awhile so we found a box for it and did a little research on it in our Handbook of Nature Study. We decided it was a box turtle and it eats vegetation and bugs. We gave it grass, lettuce and a few dead beetles we found. It nearly drove the poor dog crazy! Anyway, we ended up letting it go before we left for the holiday weekend but before we did, R wanted to draw it in her new journal. She did a good job. On Monday, we saw a turtle in the road a ways from our house and the kids were pretty sure that must be our turtle!


We also got to watch a bird's nest over the last few weeks. It started w/ 4 eggs, then 2 babies and they finally left the nest last week. It was a neat experience for us all! We have also picked blueberries twice so I guess we are doing better at this nature study thing than I thought!
I found this site of absolutely beautiful nature pictures!

0 comments: